I am a user experience designer with over 10 years of experience. My passion is for crafting rich, digital experiences that enable people to reach their goals.
Experience Design Expertise
- Designed the user experience, including strategy, information architecture and interaction design, for a variety of different organizations, including intranets, extranets, informational, e-commerce, educational and non-profit web sites and set-top devices.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills and an ability to work closely with stakeholders to understand their specific business context and goals, customers, and content.
- Excellent team player on both internal company teams and external client teams.
- Deep understanding and mastery of the different methodologies necessary for creating a successful information architecture, including content analysis, classification scheme analysis, comparative analysis, server and search log analysis, and user research.
- Extensive experience designing and crafting the various types of deliverables needed to communicate the experience design such as site blueprints and wireframes, content strategy, metadata schemas, business requirements, presentations, and written reports.
Senior Experience Designer, 2005-Current
Adaptive Path. San Francisco, CA
- Lead user experience projects for clients. Includes setting the creative vision, establishing and maintaining client relationship, managing internal team members.
- Design and develop detailed deliverables that document the design, such as wireframes illustrating information architecture and navigation frameworks, transaction flow maps through information and site processes, and page-level interactions.
- Conduct ethnographic user research to learn the behaviors, needs, and desires of customers so tailored recommendations for site functionality and features could be developed.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to clients through various elements of the UX design process. An example is mentoring the content analysis process, which includes auditing of existing content, mapping of content, and identification of possible metadata attributes.
- Conduct training in user experience strategy, research, information architecture and interaction design to groups of 10 to 120 people, across North America, South America and Europe.
- Author of various essays, reports, and presentations on information architecture, metadata and controlled vocabularies, taxonomy development, content management systems, and designing the UX.
- Developed the curriculum and taught an all-day workshop on advanced information architecture for the Adaptive Path User Experience Intensive workshop series.
Director of IA Library, 2004-2008
Information Architecture Institute.
- Mentored two interns for the design and implementation of the Library.
- Evaluates resources to determine if they fit the collection, and then catalogs items and adds to Library.
Senior Information Architect, 2001-2004
PeopleSoft, Inc. Pleasanton, CA
- Implemented a unified information architecture across the public website, customer extranet, and partner extranet in a single CMS. IA was expanded to include 23 international sites the following year.
- Designed metadata schema for use on all 26 websites. Project managed initial creation of four vocabularies to populate metadata fields. Provided ongoing maintenance to vocabularies to keep them current. Provided training to producers on how to index pages appropriately.
- Designed, specified, managed and maintained the product database, the central location of the PeopleSoft product hierarchy, name translations, URLs, and country applicability.
- Worked as the project lead for multiple projects from the writing of business requirements, to collaborating with technical developers to determine functional requirements based up on the business requirements, through implementation and final QA.
- Responsible for a variety of content on web properties, including six metadata controlled vocabularies, global navigation XML files for all 26 sites, the site map and site index, and search index configuration files.
Information Architect, 2000 - 2001
Argus Associates. Ann Arbor, MI
- Experience crafting information architectures for intranets, web sites, and e-commerce sites.
- Designed navigation, organization, and labeling systems after research into the specific needs of the clients’ customers and business. Created blueprints and wireframes to illustrate these systems.
- Developed a controlled vocabulary and implemented it in indexing records for the Argus Center for Information Architecture Information Architecture Guide.
- Conducted user research in a variety of settings to understand users’ needs and mental models.
Technical Services Librarian, 1999 - 2000
Rowland Institute for Science. Cambridge, MA
- Created and designed the information architecture, navigational system, graphic design, content, HTML coding, scripting, and maintained pages for web site and intranet.
- Designed a relational database for tracking interlibrary loan request status, copyright royalties, journal holdings, and library contact information.
- Converted manual journal check-in process to a digital workflow.
- Provided support and training to staff and patrons in computer software and hardware.
- Extensive experience indexing and cataloging a variety of library materials.
- Managed the library online catalog, library computers and institute web server.
Library Assistant, 1997 - 1999
Rowland Institute for Science. Cambridge, MA
- Co-created a relational image database, including the creation of a controlled vocabulary, indexing of the images, and design of the user interface.
- Provided support and training to staff and patrons for computer software and hardware.
- Researched and processed interlibrary loans.
- Maintained library and institute web pages.
- Copy cataloged and processed new materials.
- Processed serials, including binding.
M.L.S. - Library Science, with honors. Simmons College, Boston, MA
B.A. - English, with honors. Western Maryland College, Westminster, MD
- Communication Arts Award of Excellence, Interactive Annual: Business, 2002
- PeopleSoft Outstanding Contributor, Q1 2004
- PeopleSoft Outstanding Contributor, Q4 2002
- Beta Phi Mu, 2000
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1996
- Lambda Iota Tau, 1995
- Alumni Scholarship, Western Maryland College, 1992-1996